The Bonne Mort altar

The church of St Nicolas in Nantes

Religious paintings

Delaunay took an early interest in the church of St Nicolas, designed by Jean-Baptiste Lassus. Building began in 1844, but was not completely finished until 1876.

Commissions for it punctuated his career, from the Bonne Mort altar of 1855 to the tomb of Monsignor Fournier in 1877. After suffering badly during the bombing of 1943, the church underwent two restoration operations, concluded respectively in 1951 and 2012.